Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Opinion- US foreign policy

If our foreign policy were entirely up to me, I would avoid military intervention at all costs and refrain from any interference besides trade and civilian travel. Also, I'd encourage organizations like "Invisible Children", because I think it's good for people from different countries to help each other sans government involvement. Sometimes the government (any government, not just the US one or the one of the country in question) works too slowly or is too heavy-handed. They can't be everywhere at once, and there are things that legally they aren't able to do, or aren't financially capable of doing, that civilians can do.

For example, if the US government had started something like "schools for schools", there would have been an international uproar about putting the government into education, the US government interfering too much in Uganda. But when citizens take it upon themselves, it's just people helping other people.

On August 15, 2008 President George W. Bush stated: "Bullying and intimidation are not acceptable ways to conduct foreign policy in the 21st century." Although I REALLY didn't like our former president, I agree with this statement. I think the best way to try to shape the world is with kindness, compassion, and generosity, and this is best achieved by the people of different countries reaching out to each other in friendship.


Haha, I sound like the minister at my church now! But it's what I think. :)

~FIN~

1 comment:

  1. Well here is my question, a country wants to take some of your land and they send there military to do so. How do you react? Or you have a bunch of terrorist attacks, how do you handle it? I love the theory, but I don's know how well it would work looking at the current circumstances. If the whole world changed at one then yes this would work. But can we take out the greed in other nations? Think about that and get back to me.

    ReplyDelete